News! The museum will be closed December-March unless by appointment 618-654-7957. Beginning November 6, 2011, the Highland History Museum will be open the first Sunday of each month for tours. The museum has many items from businesses important to Highland history as well as items from Highland organizations. Tours will be conducted from 1 to 4 p.m. A $3 donation is suggested.
Kaeser Park is named in honor of Dr. Albert F. Kaeser, a prominant Highland, Illinois physician. It is considered a city park, but was renovated by the Highland Historical Society in 1986. The house itself was built in two sections. The first was built in 1835 and the second in 1875.
At one time, the house was used as a stagecoach stop. It contains a kitchen and bedroom from the 1800s time period and additionally contains two Highland History rooms. Many of the home's original features remain intact. The barn has been restored as an exact replica of the orliginal, including use of old barn siding. The upstairs houses the log cabin building museum with original tools and a display explaining how each tool was used. Though not period correct, the home now also has an indoor restroom.
The building also houses many Highland artifacts. On the grounds is the cupola housing the original fire bell previously on the city square before being used in the fire house. The serene property includes a playground and a nature trail.